The Bone Marrow Micrometastases in Colorectal Cancer study (PI: Kjersti Flatmark) was primarily designed to determine the prognostic value of detecting DTC in bone marrow from CRC patients treated with curatively intended surgery. In the cohort of 316 study patients, DTC positivity was associated both with disease stage at diagnosis and adverse prognosis. Tumour expression of a range of potential metastasis-associated factors have been analysed and correlated to these endpoints.
Ongoing activity: Tumour miRNA and DNA methylation profiling for identification of prognostic biomarkers.
- Haugen MH, Boye K, Nesland JM, Pettersen SJ, Egeland EV, Tamhane T, Brix K, Maelandsmo GM, and Flatmark K. (2015). High expression of the cysteine proteinase legumain in colorectal cancer – implications for therapeutic targeting. European Journal of Cancer, Volume 51(1), pp 9-17. Link to article
- Zhai H, Fesler A, Schee K, Fodstad O, Flatmark K and Ju J. (2013). Clinical significance of long intergenic noncoding RNA-p21 in colorectal cancer. Clinical colorectal Cancer, Volume 12(4), pp 261-6. Link to article
- Schee K, Lorenz S, Worren MM, Günther CC, Holden M, Hovig E, Fodstad O, Meza-Zepeda LA, and Flatmark K. (2013) Deep Sequencing the MicroRNA Transcriptome in Colorectal Cancer. PLoS One, 8(6), pp e66165. Link to article
- Schee K, Boye K, Abrahamsen TW, Fodstad Ø and Flatmark K. (2012). Clinical relevance of microRNA miR-21, miR-31, miR-92a, miR-101, miR-106a and miR-145 in colorectal cancer. BMC Cancer, Vol 12:505 (published online). Link to article.
- Boye K, Nesland JM, Sandstad B, Haugland Haugen M, Mælandsmo GM and Flatmark K. (2012). EMMPRIN is associated with S100A4 and predicts outcome in colorectal cancer. British Journal of Cancer, Vol 107(4), pp 667-674. Link to article.
- Ingebritsen VA, Boye K, Tekle C, Nesland JM, Flatmark K and Fodstad O. (2012). B7-H3 expression in colorectal cancer: nuclear localization strongly predicts poor outcome in colon cancer. International Journal of Cancer, Vol 131(11), pp 2528-2536. Link to article.
- Schee K, Flatmark K, Holm R, Boye K and Paus E. (2012). Investigtion of nonspecific cross-reating antigen 2 as a prognostic biomarker in bone marrow plasma from colorectal cancer patients. Tumour Biology, Vol 33(1), pp. 73-83. Link to article.
- Flatmark K, Borgen E, Nesland JM, Rasmussen H, Johannessen HO, Bukholm I, Rosales R, Hårklau L, Jacobsen HJ, Sandstad B, Boye K and Fodstad Ø. (2011). Disseminated tumour cells as a prognostic biomarker in colorectal cancer. British Journal of Cancer, Vol 104(9), pp. 1434-1439. Link to article.
- Boye K, Nesland JM, Sandstad B, Mælandsmo GM and Flatmark K. (2010). Nuclear S100A4 is a novel prognostic marker in colorectal cancer. European Journal of Cancer, Vol 46(16), pp. 2919-2925. Link to article.
- Flatmark K, Bjørnland K, Johannessen HO, Hegstad E, Rosales R, Hårklau L, Solhaug JH, Faye RS, Søreide O, Fodstad Ø, Study Group for Micrometastases in BM in Colorectal Cancer. (2002). Immunomagnetic detection of micrometastatic cells in bone marrow of colorectal cancer patients. Clinical Cancer Research, Vol 8(2), pp. 444-449. Link to article.